Friday, August 26, 2005

Alma Mater, The Follow-up

I'm chagrined. The HU Director of Career Counseling and Placement (whose name I'll keep out of this) courteously gave me a phone call just now. She said that she truly did not mean to offend anyone by refusing to post the Second Presbyterian graphic designer job, but went on to explain how she's between a rock and a hard place. Seems this isn't the first time someone's complained about the new CareerNet Web site. She cited an incident when a position at a Church of Christ was posted on the site and Harding was "blasted" by at least one individual because the church was "liberal". So, she knows that a posting for a position at a Presbyterian church would raise someone's ire.

I had to tell her, she's in a tough position. But she said herself, you can not please everyone. To which I suggested they do what is right in the eyes of the Lord, and then defend that policy to whoever might complain -- using the truth as their defense.

The bottomline: They will NOT post the Second Pres job listing, but she planned to call my friend and spread news of the junior graphic design position via word of mouth.

All I can do is wish her good luck, thank God I'm not in her position, and pray maranatha -- Lord, come quickly. At least I tried...

No comments: