Tuesday, August 02, 2005

What's up with that blog name?



And were any animals harmed in the making of this blog?

"Jay's Embryo Pig Farm" (originally intentionally misspelled "embroy") dates back to 1978 when on the first day of class in AP Biology I mocked poor Christopher Dumas who claimed to have an earthworm farm in his backyard. Trying to impress my teacher, Mrs. Murchison, (who was listing off the animals we would be dissecting in her class that year) I blurted out, "I have an embryo pig farm in MY backyard!" And it just seemed to stick.

Classmates asked about the pig farm: Could they come and see it? When was I having a sale on the embryo pigs? Could they get on the mailing list for a catalog? And on and on...

Not one to disappoint the fans, I immediately launched an ad campaign for "Jay's Embryo Pig Farm" including posters on the Science Department bulletin board and the infamous "pigalogs" for mail order pigs.

I owe a lot to my predecessor, Lee Honsa. He was the creator of The Ludzons, a breed of strange stick-figure people purportedly from Alamo, Tennessee, with very poor handwriting and even worse grammer who had names like Calvin Stigler, Caffy Brottis and Ivan McGillicutty. I totally ripped Lee off, drawing pigs in the Ludzon fashion and knocking off the "drigalogs" for the "Big Sale at Jay's Embroy Pig Farm". Thanks, Lee. Wherever you are.

For years afterward, people would give me pigs. Pig figurines, plastic toy pigs, pig posters, piggy banks, Miss Piggy calendars. You name it, I got it. And I've still got most of the pigs. They're boxed up in my attic along with all the "pigalogs" and pig posters. Relics now. Memories of a simpler, simple-minded, time.

Many things have changed in the 20-something years that have passed since then. But some things haven't changed a bit: I'm still a smart-alecky, rip-off artist churning out posters and ads, and living in the city of my childhood — not far from Alamo.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay, I'll give Lee your thanks, we still keep in regular touch after over 30 years now. He has quite a collection of his characters by now and still on occasion can be coaxed (it doesn't take much) to sketch out a spiffy, cute Ludzon. You should see his latest creation "Miss Polly Golly" she's quite the looker.

By the way, I still have an original Ludzon catalog of little defects on sidewalks. Probably a priceless artifact of Algebra II class at Wooddale.

Jay said...

Wow! Somebody actually reads this stuff!

Thanks for the comments, Anon. Care to disclose your identity? Bobby? John? Carl????

Algebra II ... let's see, that was 30 years ago. No wonder I've forgotten everything I learned!